Thursday, March 25, 2010

Special day

What makes one day different from another? Doing the same thing, following the same course, simply putting one foot in front of the other. Thinking ahead about what I'm going to make for dinner....that I need to get some washing and ironing done...and that I really need to seriously think about starting the heavy duty spring cleaning. And, it's Thursday, so we need to get up early to go to the MTC.....but it is my favorite day....so that already makes it special. And then...like a surprise gift, beautifully gift wrapped....and so, exactly what I wanted.....the day changes....not because something out of the ordinary happened....but because of special feelings that transpired.

Over the past couple of days, Erin has reconnected on Facebook with a girl from her mission that they taught and who was baptized. It was the most amazing story...and through this reconnection, Shannon (the girl) shared some amazing stories as well. Her parents joined the church a couple of years later (I believe) and Shannon shared with Erin and Julianne (Erin's bestest companion!!) some talks that her parents had given in church. They were a sweet (and that's the only word to describe them) talks about their testimonies...and about the examples that the members of the ward were....about the friendships that they formed...about the acceptance they had from their LDS neighbors. And Julianne shared her memories from Shannon's "Surprise" baptism. I'm hoping that somehow I can attach these emails. I know Erin doesn't have the time...nor maybe even the desire at this point in her life....to write these things down. So, I'm doing it...in hopes that someday down the road, she may stumble on them and be reminded of what a great missionary she was (is!) and how she truly, truly changed lives. Not just Shannon's, but generations to come, and generations before. Amazing. I am so blessed to have her as my daughter....and my friend. I know we've known each other for eternities...and will for the eternities to come.

The MTC was special today...everything just seems to be making me tear up. Two of the missionaries who "taught" us the discussions....well....we were able to run into them and share our feelings with each other. It was truly a spirit to spirit experience. I will treasure it forever. Today has been filled with spiritual gifts....I need to most of all, remember the FEELINGS, because that's what it's been all about. I may not remember all the details of today....but I want to remember this most special of gifts....the quiet assurance that Heavenly Father knows each of us...and He loves us. He's aware of my family and their individual struggles...He's aware of my prayers for each of them. He's aware of how much I love them.....and how much I appreciate their examples in my life. This has been the most special of ordinary days.

No comments:

Post a Comment